Friday, July 20, 2007

Skagway, Northern Terminus of the Inside Passage

By strange coincidence the last ferry north that I boarded was the MV Columbia, the same ferry that I had begun my trip on nearly a month before. A recent shipboard fire, though minor, had necessitated a change in schedule and passengers and the ship was nearly empty for this last journey.

The shortest ferry sailing, I arrived still early in the day amidst the great throngs of tourists from the numerous cruise ships lining the harbor. Despite the crowds I managed to find pleasant lodging within walking distance of the ferry. Over the next few days I was continually surprised how efficiently this small Alaskan city was able to handle thousands of tourists arriving daily. In the evening and especially early morning the entire town was pleasantly quiet with only a slight flurry of cooks and transport people making preparations.

I was most fortunate to be included on a “tour” by a local operator named Dyea Dave. He had taken his name from a historical site near Skagway which was the launching point for the Chilkoot Trail. He was showing family members around and graciously included me. We had great fun and I learned a lot about the obvious as well as the more obscure history of Skagway. There was lots of hiking to do but again the exceptional snowpack controlled the access to the high country. I plan to return some day soon and explore the hiking and unique areas north to Whitehorse including the desert sand dunes.

No comments: