Thursday, June 14, 2007

Sitka-by-the-Sea

I was especially excited to visit Sitka. Romantic thoughts of Russian America, the blending of many cultures, foreign and indigenous. The stunning vision of a beautiful snow capped volcano in full view of the city did not detract from my expectations as we landed at the ferry dock. Miles from the city a commercial bus company meets every ferry and for only $8 roundtrip provided drop offs anywhere along the way and in the downtown area. I managed to find a room in the old, historic, funky, and friendly Sitka Hotel. My travel companions thought me adventurous for opting for a “European Style” room. That meant I would have to walk across the hall for either a bath or shower room. It was really pretty tame.

There is a long list of places to visit in Sitka and I enjoyed all of the ones I went to. My favorites included the historic parks & sites all within easy walking distance and most with excellent interpretive signs. From totems to churches; Russian cemeteries nearly hidden by second growth forest to modern neighborhoods standing on ancient villages, there was plenty to see, and explore. The two highlights of my wanderings include the Sitka National Monument (totem poles & native culture) and the Sheldon Jackson Museum. I was delighted by the collections, the presentations, and the staff at both of these facilities.

On another day, I rented a bicycle and pedaled up a mountain trail to the snow line and then snow hiked to foggy viewpoints at the location of a former secret radar installation from WWII. Mountain views that would erupt from the clouds were spectacular and I later learned were as good to ski as they looked. Pushing on through a drizzle I wandered about the historic and natural areas at the far west recreation area. Waterfalls, shell middens, and wonderful wildlife viewing made the drizzly day more than bearable. Before leaving Sitka we had to wait four hours for the tides to flood enough water into the passages to allow the ferry to navigate out of Perilous Strait. I used this time to outline several outings that I could do on my next visit to Sitka-by-the-Sea.

No comments: