Friday, May 18, 2007

Misty Fjords, Ketchikan, AK

Greetings again Mt Baker Club members & friends. My first stop on the inside passage is Ketchikan. It was a thrill to make landfall after two nights on the water. The ferry dock is more than two miles from downtown. I opted to stretch my legs (and back) a bit by carrying my gear into town. This paid off because I just happened onto the last boat headed up the famous Misty Fjords for that day. Luckily food was part of the package and some smoked salmon made up for my lack of breakfast. Fully two thirds of this outing are pretty similar to the ferry views. The emphasis is on bald eagle sightings so for Bellinghamsters it may not be too exciting. Once we entered the Misty Fjords things got much more dramatic. Towering black cliffs still snow capped rose above us in often tight passages. A delay in the float planes we were meeting allowed us an unplanned side trip into a stunning tight cirque and thundering waterfall that nearly fell into the boat we were so close. Later we met the float planes at a dock so some passengers could take off into the clouds for a return by plane. Those of us returning by boat were treated to a colony teeming with baby seals and the first bear sighting of the year. A large black bear was unflustered by our presence as he walked the rocky beach turning over boulders for an afternoon snack. So? After doing this tour I probably would have to say it was worthwhile but I wouldn't repeat it. I would however be highly motivated to return for an extened trip paddling; hiking & climbing; while camping or using one of the inexpensive USFS cabins that are available. Next Blog: Ketchikan. Until then.
Bud

No comments: